- I have a question that I need an answer to. Where can I ask?
Please Click here to send us a message for any query related to Competitions. Consider allowing a day for your queries to be answered. Also, be sure to go through the FAQ thoroughly, chances are your question has already been answered.
- What does it take to be the Bengaluru GAFX Character Animation Champion?
If you feel you have what it takes to be creatively and physically challenged for 30 hours, this competition is for you. All participants will assemble under a common roof on the given days and compete to create the most compelling character animation in a controlled setting.
You need to register for the competition and follow all the relevant guidelines, and important dates mentioned on the site here.
- Is this competition open for Students / Professionals? What if I am part-time studying and part-time working?
The competition has two separate categories – Students and Professionals. Be sure to select the appropriate category while filling the Registration Form. If you are a part-time student and part-time working professional, you will qualify under the Student Category.
For Students: The theme will revolve around short and simple body-mechanics exercises, that animation studios usually look for in entry-level animators.
Participants must share a link to their work in the Registration Form to be selected for the competition. Only the best of the best will be selected and pitted against each other for the competition.
- What Software and Hardware do I need to use?
Workstations with Maya software will be assigned to the participants upon signing of an agreement at the competitions check-in desk, by signing this agreement the respective participant will be taking full responsibility of the workstation / materials until he/she hands over the workstation / materials to the coordinator and signing the clearance/check out document.
- Apart from software and other resources, do we get anything else?
Industry experts/professionals will be present during the competition to provide advice and inputs on your work.
- What Character Rig will be used for the competition?
Participants will be provided the PK-Man Character Rig, which is built to industry standards and is very versatile in its features and has 7 avatars pre-loaded. Participants can use any one of the avatars for the competition. It will be handed prior to the start of the competition.
- Do we get to keep the Character Rig post the competition?
We are happy to let participants use their Rig for personal use, provided it is used for educational purposes only, and Native Puppets should be credited every time they showcase on the internet using their rig. Commercial use of the Rig is strictly prohibited.
- Do I need to ‘light / render’ my final entry?
Not needed. You will be purely judged based on your animation skills. Use all the extra time to polish your entry than spending time on ‘lighting’ your entry. The judging criteria will not favor an entry because it is well lit or technically well executed but will focus purely on its character animation and performance values.
- I feel the need to add a prop at a location. Can I?
Yes, you can, provided you build them on your own during the competition. There will also be basic prop provided if you want to use them.
- When will the theme of the competition be announced? Will I be intimated by email about the same?
Theme of the competition and other specific details pertaining to this category will be announced at the beginning of the competition. It is advised to arrive one and half hours prior to the start of the competition.
- Apart from the prizes, will the winning entries receive feedback on the submission?
Yes. If you would like, the judges or an industry expert can give you a personal feedback either via a Live Video Call or Recorded Session. You can even opt for a professional level feedback through our Industry Partners.
- What are the timings of the Competition? What time should I report?
The competition will be begin on May 13th Saturday at 8:00 AM. Check in would start at 7:00 AM and close at 8:00 AM. You are requested to reach the venue for registration by 7:00 AM.
- I submitted my Registration before the deadline. Can I re-submit if I want to?
Yes, you can. Finalists will be shortlisted post the registration deadline on May 5, 2017.
- Will food, arrangements to rest, other material be provided for the competition?
We will provide work station with Maya software loaded. Food & refreshments will be provided during the competition. We will also have limited numbers of sleeping bags, stay & webcams will not be provided.